Conference: Africa – on the creditors’ hook
Save the date: 6 December 2018. Join Jubilee Germany and our partners for a conference on development finance and new debt crises in Africa.
Is Africa once again on the hook of rich creditors and is it steering into the next continent-wide debt crisis? This conference centres around dramatically increasing debt indicators in lots of African countries. Where do these loans come from and how did they get to Africa? What are the social implications of the rising debt? What challenges arise for the public in Europe? Are there links between climate change, forced migration from Africa and unsustainable debt levels? And how could it be prevented that these unsustainable debts lead to a social disaster?
We ask these questions to experts from civil society in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Uganda and Côte d’Ivoire. And we discuss them with those who promote private and public financing in Africa on behalf of the German government.
There will also be workshops on:
- private infrastructure investments and their (debt-related) risks from the perspective of donors such as China and Germany, African governments and civil society,
- extractivism as a development strategy – opportunities and risks,
- and climate change, causes of migration and sovereign debt.
There will be simultaneous German/English translation.
Seminar mit Spreeblick
An der Schillingbrücke 4
Berlin (near Ostbahnhof)
- Brot für die Welt
- erlassjahr.de – Entwicklung braucht Entschuldung
- Kirchliche Arbeitsstelle Südliches Afrika (KASA)
- Netzwerk Afrika Deutschland (NAD)
- Solidaritätsdienst International (SODI)
Registration and further information
Participation is free, registration is requested.