Ireland campaign: push your MEP candidates to take the fossil free pledge!
Citizens for Financial Justice partner, Friends of the Earth Ireland, are calling on European election candidates to sign the fossil free pledge!
Visit the Friends of the Earth website to take action now.
The fossil free pledge
If you support the Not Here, Not Anywhere Fossil Free Election Pledge and want your European election candidates to do so too, then tell them by using this handy e-action!
To keep global warming below 1.5°C and avert the most severe impacts of climate change, we must rapidly reduce the burning and use of fossil fuels and 80% of the known fossil fuels must stay in the ground. Climate action means urgently committing to and achieving a Fossil Free Future, in Ireland, and around the world.
The Fossil Free Election Pledge has five principles:
- A just transition for workers and communities;
- Protect our seas and end offshore drilling;
- No new fossil fuel infrastructure;
- Stop burning coal, peat and unsustainable biomass for electricity;
- Ban importing fracked gas and support a fossil free future globally
Specifically, we want to see European election candidates:
- Redirect all EU financing of fossil fuel projects to renewable energy projects, specifically through making the European Investment Bank fossil free
- Ban the importation of fracked gas to EU countries
- Promote a rapid phase out of fossil fuel energy generation in EU countries with a just transition for workers and communities
More from Friends of the Earth Ireland
Visit the Friends of the Earth website to find out more.
(All content from Friends of the Earth Ireland.)